Get to know an organization: Boxing Club open to all skill levels

A relatively new club on campus, the boxing club shares a love for the competitive nature and fitness aspect of boxing. Cameron Carver and Juan Carasquilla founded the club last year to have a place for members to spar and to open up an outlet for competition. The club meets three times a week to practice and improve their skills.

Nicole Rodriguez, a junior majoring in Communicative Disorders, is a member of the club and joined because she had always found boxing to be an exciting sport that she wanted to learn. 

“It’s the first boxing club on campus. The environment itself is lax. You can make this as serious or not as you want. As competitive and individual as the sport is, everyone tries to help each other improve their skills,” Rodriguez said.

The club allows anyone to join even if they have not had any prior experience in the sport. Susanna Kaletski, a junior majoring in English, was apprehensive about joining at first, but she said she ended up loving it.

“My favorite part is how accepting everyone is of everyone else. At first glance I don’t really look like someone you’d expect to be in the boxing club, and when I joined I had absolutely no experience. But despite that, everyone has always been so helpful and encouraging,” Kaletski said. 

The club is unique because there are members of all experience levels and backgrounds. Members can make the club what they want. Malcolm Luttrull, a junior majoring in Chemistry, joined the club to continue his kickboxing training when he’s away from home. 

“There are people I can train and spar with all the time who are friendly and want nothing but the best for each other. We also have a passionate trainer who keeps the club in order and helps focus on everyone individually to get them better,” Luttrull said. 

The boxing club holds registered practices on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 5-7pm in the combative arts room at the original Student Recreational Center. To learn more about the club, visit ua.collegiatelink.net/organization/Bamaboxing/about or email [email protected]