Trebel Music offers free downloads to students

When Gary Mekikian and Corey Jones of M&M Media, Inc., needed a university to launch their new music-streaming service, Trebel Music, The University of Alabama was a top choice.

“We wanted to make this app as good as we could for the young generation,” said Mekikian, CEO and co-founder of Trebel music. “It offers a social way of discovering music and sharing it with others.”

The app, available for download early this week at http://www.trebel.io/dl, is free and legal.

According to an email from Jones, Alabama is one of six universities chosen in the past year to try Trebel Music. He compared the app to other music streaming services, explaining what makes Trebel the better alternative.

“Think of it as a premium version of Spotify, without paying a subscription,” Jones said.

Mekikian said Trebel Music gives users the chance to earn points known as “currency” by searching, downloading and listening to music. The currency can then be used to download songs to students’ personal library, or can be shared amongst your social circle on the app.

He said users can follow each other, download songs from each other’s playlists, and send and receive currency. They also have the ability to make private playlists or share them with the public.

“What’s cool about this app, is when you go through the social part of it, you can view and download other’s playlists, and earn points for it,” Mekikian said.

According to Mekikian, Trebel Music gives its users the opportunity to see the top played songs not only on their campus, but many other campuses across the country.

Mekikian said the app, recognizable for it’s bright yellow color, is also completely customizable. If you’re listening to a song and really enjoy the album art, you can simply shake your phone and the colors of the album will become the new theme. This is also reversible. By going to the settings option, users can turn the theme back to the signature yellow color.

Mekikian worked on creating the app with his two teenage daughters, Juliette and Grace.

“This app was designed by millennials, for millennials,” Mekikian said.