UA Mortar Board chapter wins Gold Torch Award

Mortar Board at The University of Alabama was recently recognized as one of the most elite chapters in the country. The Hypatia Chapter received the Gold Torch Award at the Mortar Board National Conference in Phoenix, Arizona, this August. This is the second year in a row they have won this award, said Susan Caples, senior chapter advisor.

Caples said Mortar Board is an exclusive national honor society consisting of seniors that exhibit exemplary achievement in scholarship, leadership and service. The Hypatia Chapter has 74 members.

Jenny Lamberth, the chapter president, attended the conference and accepted the award on behalf of her chapter. The award is given to chapters that go above and beyond the minimum requirements for the society. It was received as recognition of the chapter’s performance the previous year.

“The award is truly a testimony to the incredible leadership of our advisers and former officers,” Lamberth said. “We certainly have big shoes to fill this year, and our current officers and members are excited about the upcoming projects and service events we have planned!”

Caples said she is extremely proud of the students involved in Mortar Board, describing them as “leaders among leaders.”

The Hypatia Chapter is currently working on raising scholarships, reaching out to international students and creating a video with helpful tips for freshmen starting their journey at The University of Alabama, said Mary Harmon, chapter secretary.

“It’s a diverse group and we all respect each other, and we’re willing to work together to make a difference on campus,” Harmon said.

This semester, the chapter has donated $10,000 to the UA Away scholarship fund and has plans to continue to help better the school and the community, Lamberth said.