Quad in Motion Day encourages campus exercise

The Office of Health Promotion and Wellness hosted its inaugural Quad in Motion Day Wednesday on the Quad. The event lasted from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., encompassing the event’s slogan, “Encouraging Exercise at UA for an Entire Day!”

Students, faculty and other members of the community turned out to participate in exercise classes, take a free personal training session, get a free flu shot, go on a walk around the Quad or just obtain information on living a healthier lifestyle.

“It’s awesome,” said Heather Clayton, Coordinator for the Office of Health Promotion and Wellness. “I’m just excited we’re able to promote health and exercise on campus.”

The Quad in Motion tent had an array of tables set up for information, including Bama Dining, the Governor’s Physical Fitness Commission, UA Recreation Center and the Student Health Center.

UA Recreation offered 30-minute fitness classes throughout the day. The University of Alabama mascot, Big Al, stopped by to show off some moves during the yoga class, along with several other students and faculty members.

Anna Walton, a senior majoring in human environmental science, also participated in the yoga class. Walton said she found the class very informative and enjoyed the fact that exercise was being promoted on campus.

“It really motivates people to get outside of the office and stay in tune with their health,” Walton said.

The event not only benefitted those who took part in the free resources and classes, but to the organizations providing services as well. Austin Ray, a personal trainer for the UA Recreation Center, said the event really helped them get there name out there.

“We only get so much advertisement,” Ray said, “so being able to get out here and shake hands with the students really helps.”

Clayton said she was very happy with the turnout and hopes to continue hosting the event on campus.