On-campus libraries are hubs for student activity

Whether you prefer the quaint quietness of Gorgas or the sleek style of Rodgers, every student has their own library style. While some libraries are devoted to specific colleges, such as Bruno Business Library, each is open to anyone who wishes to settle in for a study session or meet peers to work on a group project. Some libraries have stereotypical reputations, such as only Greeks study at Bruno or only Arts & Sciences students study at Gorgas. But in reality, different students from all different areas of campus make their homes in each of our campus libraries. 

Gorgas 

As the focal point of the quad, Gorgas is one of the most easily accessible libraries on campus. Also home to Java City, an express coffee bar and mini market, Gorgas makes a great place to grab a study snack to help you power through a stack of notes or a pile of readings. Giancarlo Mazza, a senior majoring in Journalism, said he likes Gorgas because of its convenience.

“I like it because it’s easily accessible and it’s quiet and it’s chill,” Mazza said. “I went to Rodgers before and it’s just as good, but I like Gorgas more.”

Cole Jones, a freshman majoring in Accounting, appreciates the quiet floor of Gorgas to help him concentrate.

“I’m newer on campus, but I’ve gone to Rodgers and Gorgas so far, and I like the silent floor of Gorgas because it’s completely silent,” Jones said.

If you go: Sunday 12 p.m. to 2 a.m., Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.

McLure 

This smaller library’s main purpose is to serve the College of Education, but it could be the perfect study spot for anyone looking for a less-crowded, quiet environment. Located right next to Graves Hall and directly across from Reese Phifer Hall, McLure is close enough to the center of campus for students to drop in for a couple hours between classes. Jordan Fix, a freshman majoring in General Business, studies in Mclure to escape some of the more crowded study spots around campus.

“It’s really quiet, and I can focus better in there,” Fix said.

If you go: Sunday 1 p.m. to 12 a.m., Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 12 a.m., Friday 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Rodgers 

This library is the infamous destination for all-nighters. It’s the only library on campus that’s open 24 hours a day for four days of the week, and students take full advantage of every possible minute. With some leaving the library at 6 a.m. and others arriving at the same time, there is almost always someone hanging around Rodgers. Becca Gary, a sophomore majoring in Accounting, has called Rodgers her favorite library since arriving on campus her freshman year.

“I like Rodgers because I use the Scholars Station Computer Lab which has a small number of computers so there are less distractions and it’s quiet,” Gary said. “Also Rodgers is right across from Fresh Foods, one of my favorite places to eat on campus.”

If you go: Sunday 1 p.m to 12 a.m., Monday-Thursday open 24 hours, Friday 12 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Bruno

Surrounded by buildings in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business, Bruno is not only home to business students but also anyone looking for a relaxed, comfortable place to study. Bruno is located right next to Alston, where you can grab coffee or a Subway sandwich, and also has three floors so students can find the perfect level of silence. While Bruno is often crowded during big exam weeks, there are usually spots available. Sydney Legeer, a junior majoring in Accounting, finds her home at Bruno.

“I like Bruno Library because it’s the business library so it’s just easier and convenient,” Leger said.

If you go: Sunday 1 p.m. to 1 a.m., Monday-Thursday 7:45 a.m. to 1 a.m., Friday 7:45 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.