Soccer drops 3-0 decision at South Carolina

Issues on the road continued for coach Wes Hart and the Alabama Crimson Tide Soccer team on Sunday. After dropping a 2-0 lead in the second half in their loss to the Ole Miss in Oxford, the Crimson Tide traveled to Columbia and lost to the South Carolina Gamecocks 3-0.

The Gamecocks took an early lead at the six minute mark with a goal scored by forward Raina Johnson off an assist by Sophie Groff. Ten minutes later, they took a 2-0 lead after forward Savannah McCaskill scored her eighth goal of the season. They finished the half with nine shots.

After scoring two goals in the first half against the Rebels, the Crimson Tide had zero shot attempts for the first time this season. Goalkeeper Emily Rusk finished the half with three saves and two goals allowed. Sophomore Kat Stratton made her third appearance of the season at goalkeeper, replacing Rusk to start the second half.

Groff would score the third goal in the game in the second half assisted by Kaleigh Kurtz. Despite having the lead, they took eight more shots in the second half, finishing the game with a total of 17.

The Crimson Tide finished the game giving up three goals in back-to-back games and a season-low two shots with zero on goal. It fell to 4-6-2 (1-3 in the SEC) for the season and has lost five of their six games on the road. This Thursday, Alabama will return to the Alabama Soccer Complex for a match against in-state rival Auburn Tigers. Opening kick begins at 6 p.m.