Beat Auburn Beat Hunger food drive to begin

The annual Beat Auburn Beat Hunger food drive will take place after its kick off event Oct. 5. This year the team’s goal is to collect 325,000 pounds, after setting a new record last year at 300,049 pounds.

“The kickoff event will be a big celebration to start off this year’s campaign,” said senior Amanda Fenton, executive team leader. “We will be having an inflatable bungee run for students to compete against their friends and popcorn and soda being given away. Everyone can purchase raffle tickets to be entered to win a Nick Saban signed hat, as well as other giveaways from local Tuscaloosa businesses.”

Auburn University also runs their own campaign, “Beat Bama Beat Hunger,” and their proceeds go to the Food Bank of East Alabama. Philip Burns, coordinator of volunteer management, said the event started over 20 years ago to help the community.

“Students at The University of Alabama and Auburn University realized there was a need to raise food for their respective food banks, West Alabama for UA and East Alabama for AU,” Burns said. “Working in conjunction with the food banks, students created their respective food drives: Beat Auburn Beat Hunger and Beat Bama Food Drive starting in 1994. BABH actually won the first year with 1,982 pounds.”

The entire drive will be Oct. 5 through Nov. 20 and several events will take place, including the BABH 5K run on Nov. 8.

Burns said that for every dollar donation, two pounds will be donated.

“People can donate multiple ways,” Burns said, “and they can donate directly to the West Alabama Food Bank through their website http://www.westalabamafoodbank.org/.