Travel Guide: Places to go in Athens

University of Alabama students may be in record attendance at an away game this weekend versus the UGA Bulldogs. Athens is well­-known for its music scene, nightlife and one-­of­-a-­kind restaurants in its bustling downtown. Whether you’ve been to Athens dozens of times or this is your first visit to Bulldog Country, here are some recommendations for this weekend’s itinerary.

Friday

7 p.m. DINNER

● Trapeze Pub is a warm, intimate spot and also Athen’s most award­ winning restaurant and pub. If that isn’t enough, they serve local craft beer and some mean pulled pork sandwiches.

11 p.m. BAR

● Check out Clayton Street, College Avenue and East Broad Street for the most popular bars in Athens. Moonshine, City Bar, Sand Bar, Double Barrel, Whiskey Bent and Woodford are all local spots with great college nightlife and many, such as Whiskey Bent, will not be charging cover on Friday night.

Saturday

9 a.m. BREAKFAST

● Get up, it’s Gameday! Grab some peace and quiet while you can at Mama’s Boy, located outside the center of it all but worth leaving for. It serve big plates full of classic breakfast food and even has homemade banana bread and cinnamon rolls to share with the table.

2 p.m. PLACE TO WATCH GAME

● Silver Dollar Bar will still keep you in the middle of all the action even if you didn’t buy a ticket to the game. This Athens institution is located at 262 College Ave. and is usually packed, providing good drinks and a great game day atmosphere with 8 TV’s and a projector dedicated to the game.

6 p.m. DINNER/ATTRACTION

● Amici Italian Cafe serves pasta, custom pizza, salads, and award ­winning wings that will satisfy any appetite. Not far from Sanford Stadium, it’s a delicious, well­priced option for celebrating another Tide victory and watching

Sunday

11 a.m. SUNDAY BRUNCH

● If you’re still in town, The Last Resort Grill is a must see. It is a renovated music club that once hosted big names, such as Jimmy Buffet and Steve Martin. Now the restaurant hosts big brunches every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. serving contemporary spins on southern favorites like shrimp and grits and stuffed french toast.