Get to know an organization: American Association of University Women empowers students through advocacy

The American Association of University Women is an organization that empowers women and gives them a voice through advocacy, public policy and STEM education, research and leadership opportunities in college campuses across the country.

Brielle Appelbaum, a graduate of the University of Alabama, saw the potential impact this organization could make at the University and started a chapter in 2014 during her senior year.

“Every woman needs a positive role model to inspire her to achieve her full potential,” Appelbaum said. “By founding the AAUW chapter, I wanted to establish a network where women in every discipline could develop valuable skills in leadership, cultivate and apply successful business strategies and learn how to be competitive in the job market.”

Members instantly gain a new, diverse network of women who are all passionate about supporting one another to achieve their goals on campus, in the workplace and beyond.

Jamie Hillman, a junior majoring in Management Information Systems and president of UAAAUW, said the support system she has had from this organization has far outweighed the seminars with high­-profile CEOs, public policy education and other career­-shaping activities they have participated in.

“UA AAUW has shaped my experience at UA in so many ways,” Hillman said. “This group has given me the opportunity to discover my passion for helping women succeed and provided events to help me grow as a professional. It’s also been a place to make friends and find women who support me throughout all of life’s adventures.”

Hillman said that the organization hosts a range of events from general body meetings and workshops with successful women in the workforce to “Thank God it’s Thursday” nights where they watch “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal” and “How to Get Away with Murder.”

Olivia Atkinson, a senior majoring in Political Science and African American Studies, is UAAAUW Vice President and said the organization is for anyone who is passionate about giving women a voice on campus and in the workplace.

“While our main goal is women’s advocacy, we are not a women’s only organization,” Atkinson said. “If you are passionate about women’s advocacy and empowerment join us at our next meeting to learn more about becoming a new member. We would love to have you.”

Hillman is grateful to have found a safe place that has grown her and encouraged her greatly in the past year. She has enjoyed being president of the organization because she wants to provide students with the same support she has had as a member of UAAAUW.

“I know that I have a group of women who are there for me 100 percent and that inspires me to push outside my comfort zone,” Hillman said. “I want every woman and student to have that opportunity.”