GAMEDAY: Kyle Allen is possibly the best quarterback in the SEC

Last season at this time, Texas A&M had one of its most disappointing losses in program history. The Aggies strolled into Tuscaloosa and were walloped by the Crimson Tide, losing 59-0. It was a beat down, one where Texas A&M looked like an FCS program out on the field. Most Aggie fans cringe at the mention of that game, but that game might be one of the best things to ever happen to Texas A&M.

The following week, starting quarterback Kenny Hill lost his job to freshman Kyle Allen. Allen finished out the season as the Aggie quarterback and seemed to improve in each game. Allen showed his full range of talent in the Liberty Bowl, where he threw for 294 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for another score. Aggie fans had something to hang their hat on for the next season.

At the start of this season, Allen wasted no time proving he was the real deal. The Aggies opened against the No. 15 Arizona State Sun Devils in Houston, and Allen recorded three touchdowns, two in the air and one on the ground, to lead his team to a decisive 38-17 victory.

Still many didn’t believe that Texas A&M and Allen could perform when it came to SEC play, but all Allen did was prove them wrong. In back-to-back games against Arkansas and Mississippi State, Allen threw for more than 320 yards and led the team to victory.

Allen and the Aggies are one of three undefeated SEC teams left and are ranked No. 9 in the nation. The production of Allen may be one of the main reasons why. It is hard to argue against Allen being the best quarterback of the SEC so far in the season. He leads all SEC quarterbacks with a quarterback rating of 169.00. He is fourth in the SEC for completion percentage with a 64.03 percentage. He is second in the SEC for all-purpose touchdowns with 15, behind Chad Kelly’s 18. Ole Miss’s Kelly may be the only argument against Allen. He has more yards and touchdowns, but he also has played in one more game than Allen has, and has thrown three more interceptions.

If Allen wants to cement himself at the top of the SEC, he has to have a good game against the SEC West’s best defense. Alabama has had great back-to-back defensive outings against Georgia and Arkansas and looks like a Nick Saban defense of old. If Allen were to throw 300-plus yards and several touchdowns with no interceptions, I don’t think there will be an argument anymore. That possibility could very well become reality this Saturday.