Soccer ends losing streaks in Athens

The Alabama Crimson Tide soccer team won its first road game of the season in Athens, Georgia defeating the Georgia Bulldogs 1-0 in double overtime to end a five-game losing streak.

In front of a large crowd of 1,752 at the Turner Soccer Complex, sophomore forward Lacey Clarida scored the game-winning goal in the 109th minute of the second overtime period after swiping the ball away from Georgia goalkeeper Louise Hogrell before finding her shot on an open net. Hogrell finished the game with seven saves before allowing the final goal.

Both teams were pretty evenly matched on their shot attempts with the Crimson Tide taking 18 shots, including 8 on goal, to the Bulldogs 17, including 7 on goal. The Bulldogs’ midfielder Belia Hartley had a game-high 7 shots, with 4 shots on goal.

Clarida’s game winner also happened to be her third goal of the season. Sophomore Kat Stratton made the start over senior Emily Rusk, Stratton finished with a season-high 7 saves for her first career victory. Junior midfielder Celia Jimenez had a team-high 5 shots, including 2 shots on goal. She was followed by forward Auburn Mercer with 4 total shots and 2 on goal.

Alabama has won its last four games over Georgia and hasn’t lost to the Bulldogs since Oct. 21, 2010.

The Crimson Tide improves to 5-9-2 and is 2-6 in the SEC. The team will play its final two home games of the season next weekend against the Missouri Tigers and the Mississippi State Bulldogs, before playing its final regular season game against the Arkansas Razorbacks on Oct. 29.