Putting ourselves aside

There seems to be a problem constantly plaguing us college students. We are always too tired, too stressed, hungry or busy. We need more money. We need more time. We can’t decide whether to go out or stay in. We can’t decide what to wear. All of these issues surround a central figure: ourselves. College is a time in which you are living away from home – maybe alone. You become more independent, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. But have we become outrageously selfish?

Recently I decided to sign up and volunteer with the Center for Service and Leadership on campus. When I arrived to leave for the local nursing home where my team was volunteering, I was the only one to show up besides the team leader. I was surprised and disappointed to say the least. Our campus boasts around 37,000 students. I thought to myself, “Out of 37,000 people, on this particular day, only two could find the time to volunteer and make a difference. Wow.” I am not indicating that no one on campus ever volunteers; I am well aware that some students really devote time to helping others. But I cannot help but wonder if more students could reduce the weight of typical “college problems” by making an effort to volunteer at a local food bank, animal shelter, nursing home, etc.

It is so easy to be caught up in ourselves with selfish motives. College is a time when you learn to care for yourself. Most of us are chasing goals and careers and focusing on grades, so of course it is easy to become a little self-centered.

There is certainly nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and focusing on future goals. But I know I, for one, often feel bogged down with the demands of collegiate life. I also feel much better when I take a little time to remove myself from the center of my universe and think of someone else for a change. It is so refreshing not only to forget about a looming test or paper for a little while, but also to see someone smile because of something you did for them. And hey, there is always a place for volunteer work on 
a resume.

My advice to you is to look into the programs that the Center for Service and Leadership has to offer. If volunteering at one center isn’t your “thing,” there are many more options to choose from. There are also many manageable time slots that probably fit right in your schedule. If that doesn’t work for you, just go out on your own and find philanthropy work. There are so many people that need help and problems that need solving. I promise, bettering the world equals bettering yourself.

Anna Wood is a sophomore majoring in advertising. 
Her column runs biweekly on Mondays.