Explore the outdoors at Red Mountain Park

Fall is finally here and the cooler temps are beckoning students to get outside and enjoy the season. One place to explore the outdoors and get some fresh air is Red Mountain Park in Birmingham. After opening only two years ago, Red Mountain welcomes around 6,000 visitors a month. The park continues to grow and offers a wide variety of activities for all types of people: adventurers, nature-lovers, hikers and everyone in between. Here are some things to check out at Red Mountain Park for those looking to get outdoors and try something new:

Trails With 14 miles of hiking and biking trails, there is always something to discover around the park. A wide range of trails consists of a diverse terrain and scenic views. You can also visit three historic mining sites on the way. Also, be sure to stop at one of the famous overlooks of the city of Birmingham. For trail maps and more trail information, visit http://redmountainpark.org/explore/trail-guide/.

Outdoor Adventures Not only does Red Mountain Park offer trails to satisfy your craving for a hike, but it also offers several outdoor adventure attractions to satisfy your craving for an adrenaline rush. Some of the adventures include the Red Ore Zip Tour (an hour-long zip-lining experience), the Hugh Kaul Beanstalk Forest (a unique array of high ropes courses among the tree tops), an 80-foot climbing and rappelling tower, a 1,000-foot zip line, and a 90-minute Segway tour of the park. The Red Ore Zip Tour is one of the most popular attractions, offering a Tarzan-like experience in the trees, and the Segway tour gives participants a chance for a guided tour still with a sense of adventure.

Remy’s Dog Park This canine-friendly park, the biggest dog park in the state of Alabama, is a great place to get outdoors, especially when you don’t want to leave your pet at home! While many parks shun pets or don’t allow dogs to roam without leashes, Remy’s Dog Park is welcoming to dogs of all kinds. The six-acre park has plenty of room for playing fetch, picnicking, or just going or a walk.

Destinations Historical buffs will love the set of historical destinations at the park. Stop by the historic Redding Hoist House to see the goats or check out the entrances to iron mines. If history isn’t for you, climb to the top of one of three tree houses to experience 360-degree views.

Birmingham is full of things to do, but there aren’t many other experiences quite like Red Mountain Park. It’s completely customizable for everyone: you can purchase a play-for-a-day pass that gives access to all of the treetop adventures, hike any of the trails, take your dog for walk, sit down for a picnic in the new Regions Quarry Picnic area or check out any of the historical destinations. For more information on the park, visit www.redmountainpark.org