Homegrown Alabama to host annual Fall Festival

University students team up with local vendors each Thursday at the Canterbury Episcopal Chapel in Tuscaloosa for the Homegrown Alabama farmer’s market.

Starting in April and ending in November, the weekly event takes place between the hours of 3-6 p.m. Homegrown Alabama provides fresh and affordable produce and goods, said Mary Clay Kline, University of Alabama student and market manager.

“There is a genuine glow about the farmer’s market; you can see it in the faces of the famers and the customers,” Kline said.

Each Thursday, student volunteers help set up tents and tables for the vendors and prepare market activities, said Kline.

“My favorite part of Homegrown is listening to the beautiful acoustic music played by local artists while watching people gather weekly produce,” she said. “Produce that is grown just a few miles down the road.”

On Thursday, Oct. 22, Homegrown Alabama will host its annual Fall Festival. All students are invited to join in the festivities, which include fall-themed treats, a costume contest and giveaways.

“Once you stop by the market on a Thursday afternoon, it sells itself,” said Julie Buzzard, a regular volunteer with Homegrown. “There is always live music, the vendors are extremely friendly, there are fun seasonal crafts, and it is so relaxing to be able to spend a few hours outside on a fall afternoon.”