Realizing the Dream Committee continues lecture series with Bryan Stevenson

The Martin Luther King, Jr. Realizing the Dream Committee will host Bryan Stevenson to lecture on Oct.27, as part of their distinguished lecture series. 

Stevenson will give his lecture, “American Injustice: Mercy, Humanity and Making a Difference,” which focuses on fighting poverty and racial discrimination in the justice system. 

Stevenson has reversed, relieved or released for over 100 falsely condemned inmates on death row and has argued before the Supreme Court multiple times, said Dr. Joseph Scrivner, a member of the committee.

“He is simply one of the most important advocates for social justice in our time,” Scrivner said. 

The event starts as a student discussion in the 3700 Forum Room in the Ferguson Center from 3-4:30 p.m. followed by the lecture at the Embassy Suites in downtown Tuscaloosa at 7 p.m.

Stevenson will be signing his book, Just Mercy, following the discussion and the lecture, according to the committee’s website.

Carol Agomo, director of Community and Administrative affairs, said the lecture aligns with this year’s theme: Realizing the Dream Through the Inherent Worth and Dignity of Every Person.

The Realizing the Dream committee is comprised of members from Stillman College, Shelton State Community College, the University of Alabama and Tuscaloosa Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Agomo said the committee works to raise awareness of social injustice and “to promote human equality, peace, and social justice.”