Alabama Blues Project to hold kickoff party

While The University of Alabama turns Crimson for the first home game of the season, a little bit of blue is making its way into the atmosphere. The Alabama Blues Project will host its first Crimson Kickoff Party, free to attend, Friday at the Marriott Courtyard from 6-10 p.m.

The Alabama Blues project started in 1995 to teach blues music to students from ages 8-18. The advanced band will perform at the Kickoff along with local musicians Ham Bagby and Shod Shirby. The advanced band’s current instructor, Michael Battito, said their performance should be “fun and easy going hopefully.”

The Crimson Tide Ballroom Dancers will also be performing. There will be free hors d’oeuvres provided by Marriott, food from Chick fil’ A, a cash bar and a silent auction selling various Crimson Tide gear from local businesses.

“We hope to raise money for our after-school program, while providing a free event to Tuscaloosa and play the blues,” Paula Demonbreun, executive director of the Alabama Blues Project, said.

This organization teaches the blues to children during summer camps and after school programs, and the money raised from the silent auction will go toward funding its program and helping kids afford the camps.

“The blues is such an influential art form that is very southern,” Shweta Gamble, the public relations director for the Alabama Blues Project, said. “It’s just a part of our heritage.”

Gamble said she sees children impacted in a positive way by participating in their programs. She said some shy children gain a new confidence after performing.

“It gave me something positive I could do,” Jonathan Blakney, a graduate from the Alabama Blues Project, said. “It taught me a trade, being a musician, which is something a lot of people don’t do.”

Throughout his 10 years with the Alabama Blues Project, Blakney said he learned a general sense of acceptance from his peers and different beliefs stemming from the concept of playing together in a band.

“We offer music lessons in blues as a way of preserving it but also to reach kids through a different kind of music they might not have access to otherwise,” Gamble said.

The blues is not only an important piece of cultural heritage, but other music is founded upon its style. For instructor Michael Battito, he teaches it “not just for the notes, but for the history and the importance of the genre.”

The influence of the blues allows kids to grow up with that knowledge and appreciation for music. Blakney said “The blues is the root of all music from jazz to hip-hop to rock, everything. When you’re learning about the blues, you’re basically learning about every other kind of music, too.”

For this event, the Alabama Blues Project’s passion to serve kids is coupled with Marriott’s passion to serve the community. One of the foundations of Marriott is giving back to the community through its CARES (Caring Associates Ready and Empowered to Serve) program that encourages all associates to get involved in a worthwhile cause in the community.

“When I heard about the Alabama Blues Project and what a great and awesome tool that they have been as far as getting kids off the streets and teaching them about responsibility and music, we thought this would be a perfect opportunity to get involved in such a worthwhile effort,” David Corman, the Marriot general manager, said.