FLC provides experience in local classrooms

The University of Alabama’s Teacher Cadets program is giving education majors a chance to see a classroom their first semester. The program, formally titled Teacher Cadets: Beyond Teaching Little Johnny How to Read, is in its second year with the Freshman Learning Community.

Students enrolled in the FLC complete 15 voluntary hours in a K-8 classroom, receiving hands-on experience. Cadets use their experience and assigned reading to assess issues affecting the quality of education in local and national contexts, according to the FLC’s website.

Carlton McHargh, director of recruitment programs and alternative certification, said the program has expanded since it began in 2008.

“The program has logged over 3,000 hours helping students in the Tuscaloosa City Schools,” McHargh said. “The program is an excellent way for future educators to serve the community while gaining valuable experience in their chosen profession.”

Allowing new education majors to assist in classroom tasks such as grading assignments, tutoring and observing, the Teacher Cadets program serves as a precursor to classroom observations for their degree. Cadets receive credit if they’re enrolled within the FLC, but the hours in the schools are completely voluntary, McHargh said.

“Cadets have reported performing a variety of tasks from providing assistance with struggling readers, grading papers, leading group activities to teaching classroom lessons,” McHargh said.

The cadets receive mentors to contact throughout the process. Jessica Dunnigan, a senior majoring in kinesiology and cadet mentor, said she makes it a point to stay in contact with her cadets.

“During the cadets’ orientation, my group expressed how they were pretty nervous about their first day in the schools,” Dunnigan said. “I responded by telling each of them to walk in confident. When I contacted my cadets, I received nothing but positive feedback.”

Mentors help cadets through the program reinforcement, encouragement and motivation. Mentors speak with students interested in the program and answer any questions incoming students have, Dunnigan said.

Taylor Payton, a freshman majoring in elementary education and cadet at Central Elementary School, said the Teacher Cadets program was a way to find out if education was what she wanted to do.

“You’re hands on in the classroom with the kids, so it’s basically what I’m going to be doing,” Payton said. “There was one instance where this girl came up with a sentence all by herself, and it was Christmas on her face, and it was a great moment for me too and really rewarding to help that child learn.”