Men’s golf faces stiff competition at tournament

The No. 1 Alabama men’s golf team traveled to nearby Vestavia Hills, Ala., Monday to compete in the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate tournament. The tournament, Alabama’s second team function of the fall season, began Monday and will finish Tuesday at the National Old Overton Golf Club.

Essentially billed as a home match, the event’s namesake, Jerry Pate, is a Crimson Tide alumnus for whom the collegiate practice facility in Tuscaloosa is also named. Senior golfer Trey Mullinax, a Birmingham native, said there are benefits to playing close to home.

“Yeah, everyone’s pretty confident,” he said. “Everyone wants to win their home match. It’s nice to be able to do that.”

Along with Mullinax, coach Jay Seawell will start seniors Cory Whitsett and Bobby Wyatt, sophomore Tom Lovelady and freshman Robby Shelton. Shelton tied for medalist honors in his first career start, joining former Crimson Tide golfer Justin Thomas in the record books.

Mullinax’s final round of 72 was good for second on the team and fourth overall, while Wyatt’s and freshman Gavin Moynihan’s scores counted for the Crimson Tide. Whitsett’s final round was dropped for the team.

Mullinax said the constant shuffling of players for each tournament, a common occurence for the fall golf season, hasn’t affected the team’s chemistry.

“We had a really good tournament,” Mullinax said. “All the guys had a good mindset. As far as chemistry goes, we all get along great. We all encourage each other to fight for every shot.”

Having won last season’s Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate and five of the last seven overall, the top-ranked Crimson Tide will look to overcome stiff competition this week. No. 2 Texas A&M is making an appearance this week, as will fellow conference foes Vanderbilt, Texas, Arkansas, Auburn and Mississippi State. Alabama will also face ranked teams UNLV and Texas.

Shelton, who turned in an impressive performance in his collegiate debut, will make his second consecutive start. The former No. 1 recruit from Wilmer, Ala., is a product of the heavy recruiting efforts following the Tide’s national championship.

“[Shelton] was a really good amateur player,” Mullinax said. “He has a really good work ethic, and that won’t be the last tournament he wins, I’ll say that.”

Seniors Bobby Wyatt and Cory Whitsett, one month removed from their Walker Cup victory for the United States, will also look to bring expertise and leadership to the tournament. Wyatt finished second individually at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate as a freshman in 2010, and Whitsett currently sits at No. 1 on Golf World’s 2013-14 preseason top 50 watch list.

After the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate tournament, the Crimson Tide golfers will have two weeks to prepare for the Isleworth Invitational in Windermere, Fla., Oct. 20-22.