Swagon provides free ride, health education

For those who dread long walks from one class to another, Project Health offers its own chauffeur service that will give any student a free ride across campus and even the chance to win prizes.

The “Swagon” program was initiated last January. In order to participate, students must simply hop on and answer a few simple multiple choice or true or false questions pertinent to student health education. The golf cart seats up to two students at a time and will drive students anywhere on campus.

“What makes the Swagon unique is the fact it is a ‘mobile learning vehicle,’ which allows for students to get information and prizes while getting a ride to class,”said Reale Snorton, a junior at The University of Alabama and the director of public relations for Project Health.

Last January at a BACCHUS conference, where universities gather to discuss health topics and strategies for spreading information, the executive board of Project Health heard the idea of a golf cart that drove around campus and shared information for sexual education. Because of the size of the University’s campus and how long it takes to get to class, they knew it would be a smart incentive to offer students a ride. They broadened the idea to establish the Swagon.

“We are trying to innovate and get students involved in all different ways,” said Jessica Vickery, the assistant director of health education and promotion.

What was once only a golf cart that transported Health Hut supplies has been reinvented as a learning vehicle for students. The questions asked are devised by the 13 health topic teams in Project Health. They includes a variety of topics, such as how to budget, how to be a better roommate or education on fitness and health.

“[The Swagon] was designed to be eye-catching and an inspiration for students to remember that health is [an] important part of your life no matter who you are or where you are,” Vickery said.

It usually takes a minimum of answering three questions correctly for a student to obtain a prize. Based on the amount of points earned by answering questions right, prizes such as pens, T-shirts and koozies are given to the students when they are dropped off to class.

“I feel like Swagon is a win-win situation,” Sarah Tharani, a senior majoring in health sciences, said.

Tharani takes shifts driving the Swagon and said she enjoys sharing health information in such a creative way.

The Swagon is driven through campus by either a Health Hut intern or a Project Health ambassador every week. The Swagon goes up to 25 mph, and all drivers must be at least 21 in order to drive it. The passenger asking questions is only required to be part of Project Health. Students are encouraged to catch a ride every Monday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and Tuesday from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Snorton said only about 10 people rode the Swagon to class last week, and Project Health is still trying to find ways for more students to take advantage of this new opportunity.

“We don’t kick people out, and the questions are pretty easy, so why not?” Snorton said.