Barriers to the enjoyment of UA Homecoming

You may have been at last Saturday’s Homecoming game against Georgia State University. Odds are, you weren’t; there are 17,000 student seats, and only 71.3 percent of those were filled.

It’s a common sight to see chunks of our student seating unattended, but this Homecoming game was exceptional. By the end of the game, students were leaving in droves, seeking refuge from both the heat and the tedium.

Obviously, our team wins many games by a comfortable margin. And obviously, Alabama is hot, even into October. But Saturday was our Homecoming game, and with just a little bit of planning, it could have been much more than it was.

First, let’s address the matchup. I understand the tradition of playing a weaker team for Homecoming; after all, no one wants to lose on a day set aside for celebration. But I think the guidelines should be different for the No. 1-ranked team in the country. Watching our players disinterestedly crush a team without a whisper of hope just isn’t entertaining.

By the time fourth quarter rolled around, our best players had been pulled, and the quality of our game declined accordingly. Only seven of the Crimson Tide’s 45 points were scored in the second half, and the energy on the field reflected this.

To our players, I say, “Well done.” Their job is to play well, and they did. But like all sports, the Homecoming game is supposed to be entertainment, and one of the University’s roles is making that happen. That means more than winning; it also means a matchup that is reasonable and engaging.

On another note, I wish the timing of the game could have been different. Those of you who were present at the game will recall the heat. For those of you who weren’t, just imagine the sun, and you’ll have a good mental representation.

We’ve had several evening games recently, all of which were entirely comfortable. Homecoming took place during the four hottest hours of the day, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say that planners should have anticipated the heat.

I understand networks reserve their evenings for bigger games and that they were likely unwilling to invest in a guaranteed shutout like Saturday’s. But this just reinforces my earlier point, which is that no one finds Alabama vs. Georgia State entertaining.

I don’t typically care much for football. But I went to Saturday’s game because I do care about this University, and along similar lines, I do believe that school spirit is worth something.

Homecoming might not be the most lucrative enterprise for the University, but this is also an institution that spent $1.8 million on a fountain. Homecoming is an investment in pride, unity and school spirit, and I think that it’s an investment worth making.

Hopefully next year, we will.

Nathan James is a junior majoring in public relations. His column runs weekly on Thursdays.