Tuscaloosa hosts inaugural brewfest

Alabama’s craft brewing industry is showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Much of its growth can be attributed to the recent changes made to brewing laws. In 2012 alone, beer production grew by 118 percent, the third year of triple-digit growth, according to the Alabama Brewers Guild.

For the college town of Tuscaloosa, beer does not have to mean binge drinking and partying on the weekends. There has been growing interest in craft brewing that has extended to campus and the local community.

“I am not drinking to get trashed,” Ben Patrick, a senior majoring in management information systems, said. “[Craft beers] are more expensive, but they are also more enjoyable. I don’t mind spending more for a good beer and just drinking less.”

Well on its way to having a thriving local beer industry, Tuscaloosa has opened two breweries in the last three years and will host the inaugural Alabama Brewfest this weekend.

Patrick said he is excited to see local craft brewers setting up in Tuscaloosa, after generally only seeing them in bigger cities. He said the brewfest is indicative of the growing trend for Alabama.

Entry into this weekend’s festival will include a souvenir tasting glass that can be used to sample beers from 50 different breweries, more than 20 of which are from Alabama. Each brewery will have multiple beers to offer, many of them brewed especially for this festival.

Bob Baker, media communications for Alabama Brewfest, said he has seen a growing number of craft beer consumers in the state over the past few years.

“More and more people are becoming very selective with their beer of choice,” Baker said. “They make these selections based on taste, preference, where the beer was brewed, who made it, how it was made and so on. There are many of these people right here in Tuscaloosa, and we’re excited to put on an event that we know beer lovers will really enjoy.”

Popular regional breweries consumers will recognize include SweetWater Brewing Co., Terrapin Beer Co., Abita Brewing Co. and Tuscaloosa’s own Druid City Brewing Co., to name a few.

Breweries will be coming from all over the country as well, not just from the Southeast. Haley Ackerman, one of the marketing directors and volunteer coordinators for Alabama Brewfest, said she is most looking forward to seeing Oscar Blues, a brewing company from Colorado.

Festival attendees will not only be able to taste and drink a variety of beers, but also listen to live bands and participate in tailgating games like cornhole. The music will be provided by Erik the Red, Ham Bagby, Black Warrior Blues and Mother Funk. Several local restaurants will have food trucks present as well.

“Ultimately, we want to make it a big community event,” Ackerman said.

There are enough tickets for 1,000 people a day to attend, but Alabama Brewfest is still looking for more volunteers to help run the festival, Ackerman said. She said the decision to have a brew festival in Tuscaloosa seemed like a natural, easy decision.

“We have done similar things on a much smaller scale, but why not do a brewfest,” Ackerman said. “I mean, I just love beer, and if there are other people who feel the same about it, why not do something like this?”

Both Ackerman and Baker said they are hopeful the community will support the new venture.

“Tuscaloosa is home to many venues that celebrate craft beer, and we only want to contribute to that community,” Baker said. “The Alabama Brewfest Planning Committee hopes that both veterans and newcomers alike will attend and enjoy these very accessible and delicious beers.”

Alabama Brewfest will take place Friday from 7-11 p.m. and Saturday from 2-6 p.m. on the grounds of the old L&N train station on Greensboro Avenue. There will be $30 one-day tickets available for either day and $10 designated driver tickets for anyone attending the event but not drinking beer so they can drive their party home. Interested volunteers and attendees can visit the Alabama Brewfest website, albrewfest.com.