Creative Co-Op helps students show, sell art

For those seeking to add an original flair to their dorm space or apartment while supporting University of Alabama student artists in the process, look no further than Creative Co-Op.

Founded by senior graphic design and printmaking major Allyson Mabry during her junior year, Creative Co-Op serves as a group of artists helping artists, whether they be graduate or undergraduate students, sculptors or painters.

“We function a lot like a support group,” Mabry said. “We’ve just made this great open and positive community for people to ask questions about selling art and about anything.”

Mabry did not expect to find herself starting her own organization last August, but a friend’s inquiry about where she could purchase original art made Mabry realize that the University lacked a forum for students to buy and sell artwork. Creative Co-Op now serves to fill that void.

“As a printmaker, and as an art student in general, I generate a lot of work just from class that I don’t necessarily want to keep because it piles up under my bed, and I’m like ‘What do I do with all this artwork?’” Mabry said. “And there’s the fact that it’s really expensive to be an art student.”

Lori Taylor, the vice president of Creative Co-Op and a senior majoring in studio art, said learning the business of selling art and curating is not a typically featured aspect in getting an art degree at the University. In order to compensate that gap, Taylor said she hopes Creative Co-Op can educate students on how to price their art and make sure they know how to be profitable as well as get art world experience before moving on to graduate school.

Creative Co-Op’s website now features 20 artists’ galleries and contact information. The site sells artists’ “creative wares,” ranging from book art to drawings to hair bows.

“I think it’s really important that students are aware that there is an art scene in Tuscaloosa, and having a student-based art group helps that – not only does it help the students that are in Creative Co-Op learn how to sell their own work and how to present work, but I think the main impact is on the student body, who gets to interact with Creative Co-Op,” Taylor said.

As an intern for Creative Campus, Mabry proposed her idea to her contacts there and was met with such support that by the time September rolled around last year, Creative Co-Op was officially founded as a student organization. Despite current success, Creative Co-Op did have some struggles at its initial inception. From acquiring grounds permits to to getting the word out about events, Creative Co-Op has been continually under improvement and a learning experience for all involved.

“We were kind of all stumbling through it together, and a year later, now we have a good set of experiences to build off of,” Mabry said.

Creative Co-Op has grown from eight students to around 50 members representing 12 different majors. Its task of setting UA artists apart and letting them get their feet wet in the art world has been a success. Some artists have already been commissioned, one even getting to create cover art for a professor’s book.

On Oct. 24, Creative Co-Op will host an art sale at the Ferguson Student Center from 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m., but the biggest event this semester will be its show at the new cultural arts center downtown from Nov. 22-Dec. 18, where students will also be able to purchase original artwork from their peers.

No matter how much the organization grows, Mabry said there are three elements at the core of Creative Co-Op: students selling art that they make, students buying and supporting fellow student artists and students raising awareness of the talent on campus in every discipline, not just art. Similarly, Taylor said the core of Creative Co-Op is creating things.

“I know that we’re advertising that this is to sell your work, and that is what it’s for, but it’s also a really good motivator to continue to make things as we continue to have spaces and venues open to people to show their work,” Taylor said.

Creative Co-Op is funded by members’ $10 dues, though a percentage of sales from the gallery show are set to go to a small scholarship fund this year. Aside from this exception, 100 percent of artist’s profits go back to the artist.

Mabry said she encourages other students to take a chance with an idea and put their footprints on campus.

“I’m growing with it, and it’s definitely become one of the more beautiful things that I’ve had a hand in creating during my college years,” she said. “If there’s an itch you feel needs to be scratched, go for it. Put yourself out there; get connected with the right people who are going to put you in a place for success.”