‘Bama Laughs’ comedy night to feature student videos

For those interested in original comedy, students from the department of restaurant, hotel and meetings management will be hosting Bama Laughs, a night featuring comedic short films and Vines by University of Alabama students.

The event will be held Monday, Oct. 21, in the Ferguson Theater at 7:30 p.m.

Jade Wyatt, assigned by University Programs to front public relations for the group, said the group is expecting a large turnout for the new event.

“It’s the biggest event for the RHM group ever,” Wyatt said. “We have 100 seats confirmed, but we hope to fill the room with 400.”

Bama Laughs originated as a group project assigned to one RHM group as part of regular coursework. Senior Meghan Moore and junior Clay Welch are two of the members, who admitted they had no idea how to work with their given topic – comedy.

“One of our group members had a boyfriend in the TCF department who gave us the idea, and we just ran with it,” Welch said.

After coordinating the event with the Ferguson Center and numerous campus organizations, the group began distributing fliers and speaking around campus to build awareness of their project.

“When I started this, I knew nothing about films. This helped me get rather knowledgeable,” Welch said.

Though Vines are pouring in, the main feature of the night is the short video contest. Students from around campus can submit comedic five- to seven-minute short films to compete in one of two competition categories: “Campus Adventures” and “What UA Means to You,” with $150 in scholarship money going to the winner of each contest, provided by the University. The best Vine will receive $50.

“Our advisor says if this goes well, we can do it every year,” Moore said.

Short film submissions are being accepted until Friday, and Vines are being accepted until Sunday afternoon by using the hashtag #UASTUDENTPROBLEMS. Short films can be sent to [email protected].

“We’ll have free refreshments and popcorn available,” Wyatt said. “Big Al will be there too.”

Greek students will receive one Panhellenic point for attending and houses that submit videos as a group will possibly earn extra points,

“We want the school to get involved,” Wyatt said. “Everyone is welcome.”