Sorority to host event “Walk a Mile in Her Shoes”

Alpha Chi Omega’s annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is not your typical charity event. The walk raises awareness for domestic violence in a creative way: a men’s high-heeled relay race.

Danielle DuBose, Alpha Chi Omega’s philanthropy chair, said this type of event uses entertainment to raise awareness on an issue that is difficult to discuss.

“The event attracts students from across campus because of its entertainment value and therefore is effective in drawing attention to the issue of domestic violence and starting a conversation on the issue,” she said.

The sorority’s national philanthropy is the awareness and prevention of domestic violence. They strive to support victims and develop their members into “Real Strong Women” who can stop the trend of violence and encourage women to stand up for themselves.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes raises approximately $2,000 annually for Turning Point Services, a local Tuscaloosa shelter for survivors of domestic violence.

Chapter president Jenny Sears said they hold the event in October because it is Domestic Violence Awar-eness Month.

“It is often hard for an outsider to understand when a woman is in an abusive situation,” Sears said. “We have found that the event not only helps the participants, but everyone to understand and see what it would be like to ‘walk a mile’ in a woman’s shoes.”

The men pay an entry fee to participate in Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, and all proceeds are donated to Turning Point services through the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation. Members of the sorority look forward to the event every year because they use it as a way to focus on sisterhood within the Alpha Chi Omega house, as well as to build panhellenic spirit as the women from other sororities join them in cheering on the participants.

Registration begins at 4:30 p.m., and the race will start at 5 p.m. on Tuesday on the corner of Colonial Drive and Magnolia Drive, outside the student entrance to Bryant- Denny stadium. For more information, email DuBose at [email protected].