Studio C Salon focuses on community interaction

As both the owner and a stylist of Studio C Salon, a hair styling business near campus, Cortney Patton considers the last seven years a “rocking and rolling” success, and is glad that her 13 years of experience in styling have allowed her business to reach as large a part of the community as it has. For Patton, that success is about more than just cutting people’s hair.

Patton said the “C” stands for Christ, a reference to Patton’s religious beliefs and how her faith has played into her personal story.

“I worked at Imagemakers for seven years, just praying for a sign, like a billboard. Then the owner brought me in and said she hadn’t been fair to me. She knew I wanted to quit and said she believed God had a plan for me elsewhere,” Patton said.

Immediately afterwards, Patton and her mother found the future site of their salon, on the corner of University and Queen City Ave. They leased it not long after, decking the place out with modern art and Bible verses. Patton said the acquisition of the building was God’s own work.

“It was all predestined,” Patton said,” I told my boss I had to jump in the boat or watch it sail off.”

A major part of Studio C’s mission is its focus on customer and community interaction. Patton coordinates with a number of local charities, ranging from the local DCH’s Breast Cancer Awareness campaign to T-Town’s Paws and Eagle’s Wings Inc. which help animals and disabled adults respectively. Most notably, the staff encourages its customers through faith-based discussion. In the future, Patton said she hopes to expand her charitable aid to Caring Days, a dementia-treatment group.

“I just hope to encourage people and be a positive impact. We try to talk to people one-on-one, help them overcome adversity, especially students. We’re all about positivity and prayer,” Patton said.

Sabrina Jones knew Patton before she opened the salon and now works with her as a stylist.

“I knew Cortney before she opened, but I knew it was time for a change. I worked at Gilda’s, but this is awesome. I really like it. I try to be personable – make [customers] feel comfortable and enjoy their day,” Jones said.

While Studio C caters to a diverse clientele, ranging from retirees to young men and women, college students make up a sizable portion of their customer base. The stylists pay attention to the desires of their clients, engaging them about both their hair and their lives.

“I have naturally brown hair, but I like it highlighted blond,” senior Ashlee Horton said. “[The service] is very personal. I enjoy talking to my hairdresser.”

Jones said the salon has a quality that makes customers feel at ease when they walk in.

“The atmosphere is relaxing and comfortable,” Jones said. “It feels like home.”

Patton said the whole idea behind her business is that people can do good in the world with what they have been given.

“People can make a difference. If they realize it and try, they might be surprised,” Patton said.

For more information about Studio C Salon visit studioctuscaloosa.com/about.