Alabama finishes fall season with tournament

The name Roberta Alison Baumgardner is seen everywhere throughout the Alabama tennis complex, as it rightfully deserves to be. Baumgardner was one of the most inspirational women in Alabama athletics, helping pioneer women competing in the Southeastern Conference.

The Alabama women’s tennis team will honor Baumgardner by hosting the Roberta Alison Fall Classic this weekend.

“Roberta has given all of us opportunities that we would not otherwise have,” coach Jenny Mainz said. “What she did was monumental. To play college tennis when there wasn’t a women’s program is just courageous.”

Like Baumgardner, Mainz has been influential in the success of the tennis program over the years. Mainz, entering her 17th year as head coach, has led the Crimson Tide to six consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances and 10 overall. Following the 2012-13 season, she was named the Wilson/Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Coach of the Year.

“She has gone from making the program nothing to top in the nation,” sophomore Natalia Maynetto said. “She is very inspiring, and it shows in the results that she has done a good job with us.”

This weekend will be the final time Alabama plays this fall, which acts as a preseason for the more competitive spring season that will start in January. Maynetto said the team has played well this fall, but there is still more work to be done before the start of the regular season.

“It is bittersweet and tough to think that it is our last event of the fall,” Maynetto said. “We have worked hard so far, and we will continue to work hard after this tournament. I’m looking forward to how we play in the spring season.”

There will be a wide range of teams competing in the tournament this weekend including Michigan, Clemson and Loyola Marymount. Mainz said this has always been a very top-heavy tournament with quality competition.

“We will have some of the best players and teams across the country playing in this tournament,” Mainz said. “Everyone likes to come play this tournament because of the genuine hospitality and who Roberta Alison was and her significance.”

Mainz said the Crimson Tide is looking forward to finishing the fall season at home and is humbled to play in honor of Baumgardner.

“It is a privilege to be able to play and represent her with a tournament in her name at The University of Alabama,” Mainz said. “We will honor her in the most significant way, and that’s to compete with class, pride and sportsmanship. We intend to do that this weekend.”