Anti-trends will help you survive the season

My style changes just about every time Miley drops a new single and usually depends on what store I go in first after getting a paycheck. Urban Outfitters – I’m probably inspired by the cropped tops reminiscent of “Wrecking Ball” and skull-emblazoned leggings circa two seasons ago and end up looking more high school, wanna-be yogi than punkish Brooklynite. Express – I come out with pants too bright and shirts too tight, trying to channel my inner sexy secretary in a last-chance effort to professionalize my wardrobe. And sometimes online shops like Modcloth and ASOS steal the show, and I am convinced to snatch up every woodland creature-printed, Peter Pan-collared, A-line dress my mouse comes close to hovering over.

Trends, like most college boyfriends you meet at Rounders, are fleeting. This fall, try shopping for three fall staples that will get you through until your Christmas presents come in to revamp your wardrobe. P.S., Frye boots aren’t one of them.

Pleated, high-waisted, cuffed or printed – trousers are a work wear must-have you might need before your graduate. Besides the obvious – wear them with a blazer and heels for an interview look, cuff them and wear them with a T-shirt and oxfords for an edgy around-town ensemble.

Statement sweaters are nothing new, but these days it seems the punchier the print or the more off-the-wall the animal emblazoned on the front, the better. Keep your eyes peeled for muted prints like a large leopard print or a neutral color palette to easily pair it with other items in your wardrobe. I like going for darker colors so I can add a chambray or white button-down underneath for a more pulled-together look.

As for shoes, be on the lookout for the perfect leather flat. I get it. You will never relinquish the tan leather riding boots. I’m sure you’ve received a new pair every Christmas since 2009. But let’s branch out a bit. I’m a huge fan of the oxford, two-tone if you’re daring. Opt for the classic black Mary Janes to bring a bit of femininity to a pair of structured trousers or spurge for a pair of masculine brogues to glam up an A-line skirt.

Structured trousers, spunky sweaters and manly shoes – they’re in, I swear. Except when you wear them all together, you kind of look like Pinocchio or a European school boy. Oh well. Androgyny is in. Right?