CrossFit center to host open house, autism awareness event

In what seems to be a hot activity in recent years, locally owned CrossFit Candor isn’t just another CrossFit center. Though it has been open for a little over two months now, CrossFit Candor will host an open house Friday for the Lift Up Luke campaign.

Lance Cormier, a former MLB player, Alabama alumnus and owner, said the open house is merely a celebration of the gym and its people as well as a fundraiser for the autism awareness campaign Lift Up Luke.

“The original Lift Up Luke day was October 19, but there was a home game and it just didn’t work out for us,” Cormier said. “Now, we’re going to be having an open house that isn’t some membership push. It’s about working out and having fun and helping a great cause.”

Cormier pitched for the Arizona Diamondbacks, Atlanta Braves, Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays and Los Angeles Dodgers, but came back to Tuscaloosa after sustaining a shoulder injury.

Cormier and his wife merged with CrossFit Tuscaloosa to start the gym earlier this year. He said the transition has been better than he could ever ask for and that people are very excited to participate.

“It really hasn’t been difficult [so far],” Cormier said. “It’s been really steady. It’s been good. You come in and you make friends, and that’s the best part. The first time you come in you have to pay attention, but as they continue to workout, they don’t need help, and they’re excited about that.”

The gym currently has about 90 members, including 40 students. Cormier said students come in and enjoy the atmosphere that the gym offers and are excited to help with the fundraiser on Friday.

“The students that are going to show up can show up at a decent time and have some fun,” Cormier said.

For the students who are already members of the gym, Cormier said they are dedicated. He also said he hopes more students will join because they want to live an active lifestyle.

“Students should do this to be active,” Cormier said. “[CrossFit] has structure, but it’s also flexible to your schedule. There’s always someone here to hold you accountable.”

The campaign, which starts at 4 p.m. on Friday, will have five-minute workout sessions. During those sessions, participants will power clean, double-under jump rope and do pull ups as many times as possible.

The event is free for everyone but donations to the organization are accepted.

“When you come in, you see everything,” Cormier said. “It will spark your interest and make you want to do it.”

People interested in the Lift Up Luke campaign hosted by CrossFit Candor can sign up online at liftupluke.com/#sign-up.