Cornell psychology professor to deliver Harold Basowitz Memorial Lecture

Dr. Thomas Gilovich, professor of psychology at Cornell University, will deliver the Annual Harold Basowitz Memorial Lecture on Friday, Nov. 13, from 6-8:30 p.m. in 118 Graves Hall.

Gilovich, a notable professional in the field, is a member of many psychology organizations, has been published in scientific journals and is the author of four psychology books. In his lecture entitled “Enemies of Gratitude,” Gilovich will discuss not only the “enemies” of gratitude and how to combat them, but why it is so easy for people to lose sight of all there is to be grateful for.

“The topic pertains to a lot of people,” said Kimberly Olin, Grant and Contract Specialist for the psychology department and event organizer. “We take a lot of things for granted, but when you’re grateful you’re more thankful and happy.”

Admission to the lecture is free and will include a reception following.

This event has been put on annually since 2000 and tends to draw crowds of about 100 people: a mix of students, faculty, alumni, community members, and professionals in the field. Roughly the same turnout is expected for this year.

The event is put on by The University of Alabama Psychology Department and is in memory of Harold Basowitz, a distinguished alumnus who graduated from UA in the 1940’s with a degree in psychology. His notable career included administrative roles at the National Institute of Mental Health and many years as a psychology professor at New York University.

The lectures are made possible by an endowment donated by Basowitz’s lifelong friend professor Irving Alexander. Alexander also received a psychology degree from UA. He then went on to teach the subject at Duke University where he served as Director of Clinical Training and Department Chair as well.