Beat Auburn Beat Hunger hosts 5K run

This year marked the 5th year of the Beat Auburn Beat Hunger 5K run. Despite the weather, the BABH team said they had a good turnout of people attend the event.

Elizabeth Schlichting, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering and the coordinator for the 5K run, said she was pleased with the amount of people.

“It’s a little harder to get people after a big game, and bad weather, but we’ve had a great event, and today we’ve raised about 2,000 lbs which is about a $1,000,” Schlichting said.

The runners started at the Lower Recreation Center and took the SGA route down near Bryant Denny and back up again.

Ruben Prickering, a senior majoring in aerospace engineering, said this was his first 5k and he enjoyed the view.

“I liked how the route took you through campus when it was empty,” Prickering said.

Amanda Fenton, a senior majoring in Finance and the executive team leader for BABH, said they’ve added some new features this year when registering for the run in order to help raise more funds.

“This year we added the option to donate when you register for the run,” Fenton said. “People really latched on to the idea.”

Because the BABH event is mainly run on campus, the 5K gave members of the community a chance to come enjoy the event and help donate. Jon Cagoe, a freshman majoring in mechanical engineering, said he thought the event was perfect after a long Saturday night at the game.

“I feel my calves now,” Cagoe said. “I’m trying to get into shape so it felt good to get active on a Sunday afternoon.”

Faculty and staff members also participated, some even reoccurring runners. Steven Hood, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, said he has participated in the 5K for the last 4 years.

“I like the cause that BABH has done and I like to continue to help support them,” Hood said. “It was a good race, and a lot of fun, this is actually the fastest time I’ve done a 5K in a long time.”

The 5K also had sponsorships from Freshmarket, Smoothie King, Kinnucan’s and Wagners as well as publicity on the radio station B101.7.

“I’ve been a part of this event for 3 years, and of course we’d like to beat Auburn,” Fenton said. “But my personal goal is to see those shelves full at the West Alabama food bank.”