UA Student Wins Miss Alabama USA

Just over a week ago, Peyton Brown was a normal college student.  She went to class with all of her friends and was excited to graduate and start her career.  Little did she know, she was about to make history.  This past Saturday, Brown set off on a new adventure that would change her life forever. 

On November 7, 2015, Peyton Brown was crowned Miss Alabama USA 2016.  She will be competing in the Miss USA 2016 Pageant next summer.  Brown is honored to be representing Alabama and says that the feeling has yet to really sink in. 

“There’s not an emotion to describe it,” said Brown. “It’s weird, I can’t explain it.  It’s overwhelming, but in the best way possible.”

Brown’s journey to the crown began when she was 14 years old.  She competed in the Miss Alabama Teen USA Pageant in 2008, where she made it into the top eight.  She then placed in the top 15 two years later. 

Her senior year, Brown won the title of Miss Alabama Teen USA 2012.  After her unforgettable experience as a teen titleholder, Brown thought she might be done with pageants.

“I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to compete again,” said Brown. “Mostly because I was really excited about going to Alabama and I wanted to focus on school.”

It wasn’t until the past year that she thought about competing again.  Since she plans on moving out of state after graduation, Brown knew this would be her last chance at an Alabama title.

“If I competed again, I knew it would be when I was almost done with school,” said Brown. “I finally thought, I might as well try it; it’s now or never.”

In preparation for the pageant, Brown did not have to go on a crazy diet or implement a strenuous workout routine.  She has always been very athletic and enjoys playing intramural softball, basketball and flag football.  Brown also makes it a habit to eat healthy, but admits she had her cheat days leading up to the pageant.

“I ate healthy, but obviously if I wanted Chick-Fil-A, I ate Chick-Fil-A,” said Brown. “I could not deprive myself of things like Chick-Fil-A, Chipotle or double-stuffed Oreos.”

When it was time for the pageant, Brown was most excited about meeting all the other contestants.

“I had a lot of fun with my experience in the teen pageants,” said Brown. “I made friends that I will have for the rest of my life, and I was looking forward to going through the experience again.”

The pageant preliminary completion was held in Montgomery, Al, on Friday, November 7, where the contestants competed in swimsuit and evening wear.  The next night, the top 15 were announced and competed in a swimsuit competition.  The judges then narrowed it down to 10 women who competed in eveningwear, and then down to the top five who answered an on-stage question.

When it came down to the final two, Brown felt lucky to be standing face-to-face with one of her long-time pageant friends, Rae Williams.

“She was Miss Alabama Teen USA 2011 and she crowned me in 2012,” said Brown.  “It made it a little more comfortable and less nerve racking.  I just knew that if she was announced the winner, I would have been thrilled for her as well.”

The moment Brown was announced as the new Miss Alabama USA, she was overcome with excitement.

“I was really just surprised and shocked,” said Brown. “It was a whirlwind.  I was bombarded with congratulations and people were yelling my name from all different directions. I immediately started doing interviews with different news stations and pageant websites.”

In less than 24 hours, Brown already saw her life starting to change.  She began conducting several phone interviews, scheduling appearances, booking travel arrangements and planning on how to manage school while preparing for the Miss USA pageant. 

“We have a lot of great sponsors across the state that will help me prepare my wardrobe and find the perfect dress,” said Brown.  “I also have a fitness sponsor who will help me get ready physically.”

Brown is looking forward to using this opportunity to network and to meet new people.  She is still friends with many of the people she met during her reign as Miss Alabama Teen USA and is excited to form even more friendships.

“Now as a communications major, I focus on networking as much as I can to help develop my career,” said Brown. “What some people don’t realize is things like this are a huge opportunity for that.”

Brown is not your typical pageant girl.  She is very athletic and enjoys staying active and doing things outside, including water-sports. She is incredibly honored and excited to start her journey as Miss Alabama USA. 

“I’m just very casual and laid back,” said Brown. “I am truly humbled and cannot wait to represent the University of Alabama and the state as a whole.”

Brown is 21 and currently a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Telecommunication and Film.  She is the daughter of John and Russell Cotton and the late Steve Brown. She has an older sister, Alexis and a younger brother, Copeland.  For appearance requests or business inquiries, visit www.missalabamausa.com.