Enjoy cake without the weight

Drew Hoover

Project Health will be hosting a “healthy bake sale” at the Ferguson Center this Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

According to organization officers, the foods the bake sale will feature are oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, marshmallow krispies, butterscotch bars, peanut butter crunch bars, pumpkin hazelnut tea cakes, chocolate walnut cookies and brownies.

President of Project Health Meg Apperson, a sophomore majoring in chemistry, spoke on how the group used alternatives to make the food healthy.

“We came up with healthy alternatives so students will be able to eat healthy while still enjoying the food,” Apperson said.

She said substitutes such as honey, applesauce and other classic alternatives will be used in place of sugar.

Apperson also spoke about why the organization decided to conduct the bake sale.

“I saw how bake sales worked in the past and worked successfully as fundraisers,” she said. “And with Project Health, this gives us a way to promote healthy lifestyles.”

Jackie Parks spoke on the purpose for Project Health’s healthy bake sale as well.

“We are having this bake sale to raise awareness about health,” Parks, a graduate assistant in the Department of Health Promotion and Wellness, said. “The bake sale is also a fundraiser for the group, raising funds to attend the BACCHUS National Convention.”

As stated on the official website, BACCHUS is a network of more than 32,000 student leaders and advisors who work with more than 8 million peers throughout the world. The BACCHUS Network is a university and community-based network focusing on comprehensive health and safety initiatives.

Project Health will prepare all of the baked goods Thursday, Parks said.

“We will have a baking party the night before the bake sale and make everything together [as a group],” Parks said.

Cards providing nutritional information will accompany each baked good package and recipes directing on how to make the goods for oneself, Parks said.

Parks said she hoped the group will be able to have another bake sale in the future.

“Hopefully we will do it again at the end of the semester or next semester,” Parks said.

As stated on the organization’s official website, projecthealth.ua.edu, their main goal is to provide college students with information and support to encourage healthy lifestyles. After the bake sale, Project Health will have three more events occurring soon, according to Michelle Harcrow, coordinator of Project Health and Heath Promotion at the Student Health Center.

“We will have our Health Fair next Wednesday, which is a big event every year,” Harcrow said. “Starting this week and going through November, we will be having our ‘Financial Peace for the Next Generation’ program, and our ‘Out of the Dark’ suicide prevention walk will be in October.”