Family Medicine Residency celebrates 40th anniversary

On the weekend of Nov. 13, the College of Community Health Sciences hosted a reunion for the Family Medicine Residency alumni in celebration of the Residency’s 40th anniversary. Over the course of 40 years, approximately 450 students have graduated and gone on to establish practices. Eighty-five family medicine physicians attended the reunion.

One of the physicians present was Dr. John Sullivan. Sullivan is best known for being part of a group that developed a rattlesnake anti-venom serum during his time spent in Arizona and for taking part in the development of medication cap foils after the Tylenol Scare of 1982.

Sullivan and the other physicians were treated to a cocktail party at the Tuscaloosa Museum of Art on Friday night and a gala at Bryant-Denny Stadium on Saturday night. They were also given tours of the UA athletic facility and the city of Tuscaloosa. On Saturday, the alumni attended medical education lectures and tailgated for the Alabama-Mississippi State game afterwards. They concluded the weekend with a Sunday brunch at Sweet Home Food Bar.

“This previous weekend was a great success,” said Leslie Zganjar, director of communications for the College of Community Health Sciences. “And going forward, we want to continue to interact with our alumni. This event serves as the foundation for that.”