Three Alabama players receive Player of the Year recognition from the SEC

On Wednesday, the SEC announced three Alabama players won player of the year awards. The honors are given based on votes from the head coaches, but they cannot vote for their own players.

Running back Derrick Henry was named SEC Offensive Player of the Year after he rushed for a school and SEC-record 1,986 yards on 339 carries. He also found the end zone 23 times to lead the nation in rushing touchdowns and rushing yards.

Henry’s four 200-plus rushing games in the same season puts him in elite company as he is now one of three SEC backs to do so along with former Georgia running back Herschel Walker and former Auburn running back Bo Jackson. He also brought home the SEC Championship MVP after he rushed for 189 yards and one touchdown against the Florida Gators.

Linebacker Reggie Ragland received the SEC Defensive Player of the Year honors for his leadership and contribution to the No. 1 rushing defense (74 yards per game), the No. 2 in total defense (258.2 ypg) and the No. 3 scoring defense (14.4 points per game).

During the season, Ragland recorded a team-leading 90 tackles including 6.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He also recorded six pass breakups, six quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles.

Ryan Kelly named the SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year as well as the recipient of the Jacobs Blocking Trophy. Alabama reports that Kelly has only missed eight assignments in 948 snaps. He has recorded 16 knockdown blocks and only allowed four quarterback hurries and zero sacks.

Kelly graduated with an undergraduate degree in marketing last summer and he is set to graduate with a master’s in the same subject on Saturday. As an undergrad he was named to the SEC Fall Academic Honor Roll three times and he currently has a 3.75 GPA in his graduate courses.