Women's basketball falls in Auburn 72-59

The Alabama women’s basketball team fell to 12-5 and 1-3 in conference play after a 72-59 loss to rival Auburn. The Crimson Tide trailed by as many as 20 in a game that was mostly one-sided.

Alabama did come out of the gate with a small lead, jumping out in front 13-12 at the end of the first quarter. The Crimson Tide soon lost that lead, trailing 30-20 at the half. Auburn outscored Alabama 18-7 in the second quarter to take the 10-point lead.

Auburn continued its dominance in the second half, taking a 20-point lead in the third quarter. Alabama cut the lead down to six points, making 56-50 with just under six minutes left to play in the game, but Auburn would secure the victory with a 16-9 run at the end of the game.

Junior Hannah Cook recorded her second double-double of the season, tallying 19 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Sophomore Meoshonti Knight and freshman Shaquera Wade each recorded 9 points in the loss. Auburn spread the wealth in its victory, having four players score in double figures. Junior Katie Frerking scored a game-high 21 points in the victory.

From the field, Alabama shot 36.5 percent, going 19-52. Auburn shot 45.8 percent, making 27-59 of its attempts. Auburn won the rebounding battle, 39-25.

“You’ve got to find a way to make shots, and I thought we missed an awful lot,” said Alabama head coach Kristy Curry in a press release. “Especially in the second quarter, that really hurt us. I thought we got a lot of wide-open looks. You’ve just got to come out and make shots.”

Alabama will be back in action against Georgia on Jan. 17 at 4 p.m. CT in Foster Auditorium.