Women's tennis returns to action in the Wildcat Duals

The Alabama women’s tennis team rebounded from a rough Friday outing to end its weekend with a total of 11 wins in the Wildcat Duals.

Day1

Alabama experienced limited singles success on day one. Junior Erin Routliffe, the No. 63 ranked player in the country in singles tennis, defeated Northwestern’s Erin Larner 6-4, 6-2 to earn the Tide’s only win of the day. Freshman Andie Daniell lost in a three-set match, and the four other Crimson Tide women to play singles all lost in straight sets.

The doubles portion was tough for the Crimson Tide as well. Routliffe and junior Danielle Spielmann lost to the No. 7 doubles pair in the country. Daniell and sophomore Aryn Greene lost their match, and senior Natalia Maynetto and junior Joanna Nena Savva also lost.

Day 2

The University of Alabama women’s tennis team had a very successful second day of the Wildcat Duals tournament at Northwestern University on Saturday, picking up five wins.

The Crimson Tide faced DePaul on the second day after a tough matchup with host Northwestern on Friday, and were able to come away with four singles wins and one doubles win.

Sophomore Bennett Dunn and Savva won their doubles match 6-1 in the Tide’s only doubles win. Dunn and Savva also delivered singles victories, with Dunn defeating DePaul’s Milica Tesic 6-4, 6-4, and Savva beating Zaina Sufi 7-6, 1-6, 6-2.

The Crimson Tide also picked up a win from freshman Daniell, who defeated DePaul’s Patricia Lancranjan 6-2, 6-4. The fourth Alabama singles win came from Maynetto, who rallied after dropping her first set to come out on top of Jarret Fisher, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. Routliffe and Spielmann both lost tough three-set matches.

The duo of Spielmann and sophomore Greene lost their doubles match 6-4, and the pair of Daniell and Routliffe also fell 6-4.

Day 3

The University of Alabama women’s tennis team wrapped up the third and final day of competition in the Wildcat Duals at Northwestern University by claiming five wins against TCU.

The Tide won two doubles matches and three singles matches to finish up a three-day tournament where Alabama won 11 matches in total.

The doubles pair of freshman Andie Daniell and junior Erin Routliffe won their doubles match against TCU’s Aleksandra Zenovka and Seda Arantekin by the score of 7-5. Juniors Joanna Nena Savva and Danielle Spielmann also won their doubles matchup, besting the pair of Olaya Garrido-Rivas and Mia King 7-5. Sophomore Bennett and senior Natalia Maynetto lost their match 6-4.

On the singles side, Daniell defeated Garrido-Rivas 6-2, 6-2 and Savva took down Arantekin 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. Maynetto won a hard-fought third set to triumph over TCU’s Caroline Wegner 6-2, 3-6, 10-8. Spielmann lost a tough three set match and Dunn fell in straight sets to round out the action for the Tide.

After the successful season-opening weekend, the Crimson Tide will return home to host Penn, Purdue, and Texas as part of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend, beginning with Penn on Saturday, January 23 at 10 a.m.