Gymnastics prepares to take on Auburn in the Crimson Tide's second meet of the weekend

After defeating the No. 14 Missouri, 197.175 to 196.050 on Friday, the No. 6 Alabama gymnastics team heads to Birmingham for the Elevate the Stage meet against No. 7 Auburn on Sunday.

“We’ve been training smart this week,” junior Amanda Jetter said. “This is why we’ve been training smart, because we know we have two meets.”

Jetter scored a 9.875 on the uneven bars and a 9.950 on the floor exercise during Friday’s meet. No one competed all-around against Missouri, presumably to stay rested for Sunday’s meet.

“I’m very confident in our work ethic and the way we have been training, the way the coaches have prepared us to take on a double meet weekend,” Jetter said.

Alabama started the season off with a loss against UCLA but was able to increase its final score by 0.875 against Missouri.

Freshman Ariana Guerra made her career-debut on the floor where she scored a 9.900.

“The coaches always told me to trust the process, trust the process,” Guerra said. “As a whole we’ve been trusting the process and it’s finally paying off.”

Along with improving its final score, Alabama was able to improve its event scores on the vault, the bars and the floor.

Including Guerra, Alabama coach Dana Duckworth had 12 of the 18 gymnasts on the team compete against Missouri.

“It was like a neat, little puzzle that we put together,” Duckworth said. “You know, we still don’t even know what they’re going to feel like [Saturday], and we don’t know what podium training’s going to feel like, but we have a plan. We do feel very confident that because they have done everything we have asked them to do – not only in the gym but outside the gym with their rest, their recovery, their healing – I believe we’re going to be in a great position to do well on Sunday against Auburn.”

The meet between Alabama (1-1, 1-0 SEC) and Auburn (2-0, 1-0 SEC) will begin at 3 p.m. in the BJCC Legacy Arena.