Alabama to host annual ASCE Concrete Canoe race

The University of Alabama will play host to the ASCE Southeast Student Conference from March 10 through the 12. What is the main event of this you might ask? The main event of the conference ASCE Concrete Canoe Competition. Yes, you read that correctly.

The ASCE, or the American Society of Civil Engineers, is the supreme authority group for civil engineers. They are comprised of over 14,000 international members and conduct conferences and meetings to help promote the efficiency and success of the field.

One such event put on by this group is the annual Southeast Student Conference. It currently features 21 schools and universities spread out around the Southeast. In 2016, it finds its home at the Capstone.

The schools will be competing against one another in the previously mentioned Concrete Canoe Competition. There are male, female and co-ed teams. Teams from each school will present and race actual canoes made entirely from an unusual suspect, concrete.

The competition judges the teams based on appearance, technical specifications and of course the race itself. There are several meticulous parameters for this event such as concrete composition, stand presentation and canoe dimensions.

Concrete Canoe Construction Captain Michael Dunn said, “A lot of bragging rights and experience in making a good product,” are at stake in this competition. “It’s also about the reputation of the department and the ASCE chapter at Alabama.”

Dunn also said that another great aspect of this competition is that it provides “a ton of real-world experience.” He said members of the ASCE chapter are able to gain a lot of hands-on experience through this conference and better themselves within the field.

There is also always a theme with each year, and this year’s is titled “The Process,” playing off of the motto of the UA football program. 

“We’re going off of the history of ‘Concrete Canoe’ here at Alabama and tying that into the tradition of excellence here at the University,” Dunn said.

If the Alabama ASCE chapter emulates the tradition they allude to, then this conference will be what they hope is a smooth sailing affair.

The canoes will be presented on campus, but the races themselves will be held on Lake Lurleen. For direct information about the conference, feel free to contact Associate Professor Dr. Derek Williamson.