​Alabama women’s tennis suffers first loss of the season

The No. 13 Alabama Crimson Tide women’s tennis team fell to No. 5 North Carolina, 4-0, in its opening match of the 2016 ITA National Women’s Team Indoor Championship. The loss marked the first of the season for Alabama, dropping the Crimson Tide to a 2-1 record.

The defeat also included the team’s first doubles-point loss of the young season, as juniors Joanna Nena Savva and Danielle Spielmann were defeated, 6-0, and the pairing of freshman Andie Daniell and junior Erin Routliffe also lost their doubles match, 6-2.

The defending champion Tar Heels continued to show why they are ranked No. 5 in the country during the singles portion, taking five-of-six first sets. UNC earned its second point when Jessie Aney defeated Spielmann, 6-0, 6-3. Sophomore Aryn Greene lost to Chloe Ouellet-Pizer, 6-2, 6-2. Then, North Carolina finished the match, earning its fourth point as the sixth ranked Hayley Carter defeated Routliffe, 6-1, 6-3.

Three matches were left unfinished. The only first set that North Carolina did not win was between Alabama senior Natalia Maynetto and UNC’s Marika Akkerman, and it finished tied, 6-6, when play ended. Savva was trailing in her second set, 3-2, when play ended. She lost the first set, 6-4. Daniell was leading in her second set 4-3 after dropping the first set 6-2.

Alabama will finish out the tournament with two consolation matches. Match times and opponents will be announced later today.