Men's golf finishes first two rounds of Puerto Rico Classic

With another solid performance in the second round of the 2016 Puerto Rico Classic, the No. 13 Alabama men’s golf team steps ahead of No. 11 Clemson (283-281) and No. 14 Georgia (284-280) by one stroke.

Alabama sophomore Jonathan Hardee continues to impress as the South Carolina native strives towards his first career medalist honor. Hardee matched his career-best 36-hole total of 7-under 137 par and will enter the third and final round leading a trio of players by one stroke.

The Crimson Tide will enter the final round with three players in the top 15. Hardee walked away in first place, junior Robby Shelton tied for eighth at 4-under, and freshmen Riley Davis tied for 14th.

No. 16 North Carolina (565) is in fourth place and just one stroke behind both Clemson and Georgia, while No. 12 Oklahoma, No. 29 Georgia Tech and Kentucky are in a three-way tie for fifth at 569.

Coming into the tournament, Alabama had hopes of improving its position. It shot 12-under par opening day and held a two-stroke lead over No. 16 North Carolina sitting at 278.

Alabama led the field with Hardee going 5-under par 67 and Davis Riley followed and was tied for second, finishing 4-under par 68.

Shelton and sophomore Tyler Hitchner both went under par, finishing 11th and 17th respectively. Senior Tom Lovelady finished the day going 2-over par 74.

Alabama will tee off the third and final round of the Puerto Rico Classic on Tuesday at 7:30 a.m. CT.