A sustainable SGA

From the start of my career at The Capstone, it became very evident that the Student Government Association was my calling. During my three years here, I have held the positions of First Year Councilor, Human Environmental Science Senator and currently Director of First Year Council in SGA. Outside of SGA, I took on various leadership roles such as Executive Vice President of Alpha Delta Pi, President of Caring for Camo, President of Eta Sigma Delta Honor Society and Vice President of Administration for Greek Ambassadors. I feel as though it is these positions that have truly prepared me to take on the role as your next SGA Executive Vice President.

The Executive Vice President’s role within SGA is to aid and oversee the Executive Council, preside over Senate and serve as a liaison for First Year Council (FYC). For this position to be successful, the individual taking on this role needs to have a background in FYC, have been in Senate and know how to manage a team. With my background, I feel as though I have the experience and qualifications needed to be effective.

This year I want to enhance the EVP role and take on three major projects. My first initiative would be the development of a “Platform Tracker” which will hold elected and appointed officers accountable. The EVP cabinet would work with officers to set goals, deadlines and reviews in order to make sure they are reaching their full potential and impacting campus. This ensures that candidates follow through on the initiatives they propose during campaigning. 

My second initiative would be the implementation of the “Capstone Mentoring Program.” This program would pair UA alumni with currently enrolled students based on career aspirations, companies and majors. This would benefit students at UA by giving them opportunities to properly network in order to obtain successful internships and jobs after graduation. Those alumni who cannot give money can give time. This is an opportunity that would also benefit alumni by allowing them to give back, be involved with their alma mater and engage with college students, who could be a good fit at their company. 

For my third initiative, I would like to focus efforts on the veteran community. Coming from a military family, veteran and military affairs is extremely important to me. My father was a Lieutenant Colonel in the U.S. Air Force who started as a C-130 pilot and later managed the Department of Defense Notice to Airmen Programs and Policy for military flight operations worldwide. His service prompted me to work for the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs here at UA and encouraged me to restart UA’s Caring for Camo organization. It is important that UA administration and SGA understand that have served us and it is now time for us to serve them. Tactics for this initiative include: gaining priority registration for dependents and veterans on campus and working with Bama Bound in order to add a veterans-only and military dependents sessions to help connect them with students of the same background and experiences.

In implementing all of these programs, I wish to create a more unified Capstone and a stronger SGA brand throughout campus. My focus would fall under four main categories: sustainability, innovation, networking and equality. These are the building blocks of our Capstone Creed, which should translate directly into the Student Government Association.

If elected as Executive Vice President, I will hold myself to the same standards as I would for every other officer in SGA. My biggest priority is students and their voice. During my term, I would seek to make the University a more inclusive environment for students of all backgrounds to create one Capstone. Vote Miranda Cobb for SGA Executive Vice President on March 1. 

Miranda Cobb is a junior majoring in hospitality management. She is running for the position of Executive Vice President.