It starts with you

We live in a time of polarization. In a time when negatively charged political rhetoric dominates the day. We live in a time of partisanship and division – in our state, country and on this campus.

But it doesn’t have to be this way.

It shouldn’t be this way.

Right now, we are faced with a lot of tough challenges here at the Capstone. We have pressing issues to address, adversity to overcome, and barriers to break. We cannot continue down the path of animosity that currently exists in our society.

I am running for SGA president because I have a plan to bring all of us together as a campus community.

And my plan starts with you.

You are the reason the SGA exists. The SGA is here to serve you.

That’s why I want to hear your ideas, listen to how the SGA can help you, and ascertain what can be done to make your quality of life better, here at the Capstone.

Gone will be the days of just seeing faceless emails and impersonal social media announcements.

Under my administration, leaders from across campus will come together monthly, forming the President’s Advisory Council. The Advisory Council will be comprised of students from every corner of campus and will engage in direct and open conversation about their needs, ideas and concerns. This dialogue will be sustained throughout my term in office and will not only foster unity but will also provide a level of transparency and accountability that the SGA has historically lacked.

I will also host biweekly “Lattes with Lill,” which will be an opportunity for you to come to the table with me, grab a cup of coffee, and talk about whatever is on your mind.

SGA was created to serve us, the students. This is our student government.

I’m going to do my best to represent every single student on this campus, putting my talent and passion to work for you.

I’m going to work to institute a SNAM Forgiveness Program, so that minor mistakes made in college do not follow a student for the rest of their tenure here at the University and beyond. This safeguards the ambitions and opportunities of all students, namely those who stumbled early on.

I will utilize every resource at my disposal to bring ridesharing services like Uber back to Tuscaloosa. This city is safer, and our quality of life is better with these transportation options available.

I will build upon the It’s on Us campaign and transition the SGA from awareness initiatives to concrete action to combat sexual assault on campus. A sustainable solution is needed, and I will push to ensure that bystander intervention training is evaluated and implemented, making all students more aware of their environment.

I have a comprehensive plan to tackle the aforementioned issues and so much more. I’m running because I know that through my plan, we can and will implement tangible solutions to the very real problems of our time.

Let’s end the bickering. Let’s tear down the divisions on this campus. Let’s focus on a positive vision for creating a better future for all, based on constructive, realistic ideas instead of divisive rhetoric.

Join me in my campaign for a brighter tomorrow.

Because together, we will.

Lillian Roth is a sophomore majoring in political science and public relations. She is running for president of the Student Government Association.