SGA hosts forum for senate and executive candidates

On Sunday, Feb. 28, the SGA held a forum in Russell Hall in Room 159. The Senate forum began at 3 p.m. and the Executive portion followed shortly after at 5 p.m.

Most of the event’s attendees were candidates and their supporters, though there were a few student audience members present.

The senate forum consisted of each candidate speaking about whatever they chose to address with a two minute time limit. The organization of speakers was by college and included candidates from the College of Communication and Information Sciences, the College of Education, the College of Human and Environmental Sciences, the College of Nursing, the College of Engineering, the College of Commerce and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Several, though not all, candidates spoke at the event and covered topics such as their platforms, their desires for SGA and their willingness to serve students.

Hot topics among the senate candidates included transparency and serving all students of campus, regardless of college.

“I’m here for everybody,” said Charlie Steinmetz, who is running to be a College of Engineering senator.

The idea of having a transparent governing body was a very popular one among the candidates. Many addressed the lack of communication between the SGA and the study body as a big problem.

Madison Bush, who is running to be a senator for the College of Arts and Sciences, said she wants to put every piece of SGA legislation on the organization’s website where students can not only read the bill, but also learn about its formation and implications.

Candidates on the executive level also named transparency as a main concern of theirs.

“All students should have access to everything we [SGA officers] are doing,” said Kelsi Long, a candidate for Executive Secretary, when asked about the possibility of SGA having an act equivalent to the U.S. Freedom of Information Act.

The executive portion of the forum allowed for candidates for Executive Secretary, Executive Vice President, Vice President of Student Affairs, Vice President of Financial Affairs, Vice President of External Affairs and Vice President of Academic Affairs to make their opening statements for four minutes. After their statements a moderator and members of the audience asked them questions.

This forum was meant to allow students to hear from the candidates running for SGA senate and executive positions. For a recap of some highlights of the event, search #UASGAforum on Twitter.

Tomorrow night will be the final SGA debate before elections. The candidates running for SGA President, Patrick Fitzgerald, Caroline Morrison and Lillian Roth, will debate at Bryant Hall before elections on Tuesday, March 1.