International Study Hall integrates international, domestic students through common struggle: school

On Tuesday, about 25 students gathered at The Source and UA Crossroads on the third floor of Ferguson Student Center for International Study Hall.

The study hall takes place every Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. and is organized by the International Students Association and is sponsored by UA Crossroads and Capstone International Services. This was the second study hall so far.

The weekly study hall is an attempt to bring international and domestic students together and provide snacks and coffee.

Gevin Brown, a junior majoring in human environmental sciences and a student assistant for UA Crossroads, said he hopes the study hall will bring students from different backgrounds together so they can talk about their cultures.

“I think it’s just a way to get students together from different backgrounds in one place to do a common thing that students do, which is study,” Brown said. “Our hope is that they come, they get to know each other, and they all start to merge and talk about their cultures and just talk experiences in general.”

Pablo Ramos, a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering from Ibiza, Spain and president of the International Students Association, said he wants the study hall to give international students the opportunity to mingle with domestic students.

“What we’ve been trying to do is give international students an opportunity to have something to do on campus and be able to mingle with domestic students,” Ramos said. “So we’ve been trying to organize events and activities so that both the international and domestic students can hang out and get together.”

Ramos said he wants the study hall to give international students the chance to meet people as well as get some homework done.

“There’s a lot of international students here that are not involved with that many clubs so this gives them an opportunity to meet some new people and hang out,” he said.