College of Communication, Information Sciences career fair connects students, employers face-to-face

UA’s College of Communication and Information Sciences hosted a career fair Thursday for students looking to find job and internship opportunities while making professional connections. 

Amanda Ingram, director of operations for the Career Center, said this event and events similar to it provide students with multiple benefits. She encouraged students to get involved in future events that allow them to network and connect with professionals in their areas of interest.

“The Communication Career Fair provides the opportunity for students to meet recruiters from a range of industries who have communication related internship and full time opportunities,” she said.

Dan Bryan, a graduate student studying telecommunications and film, said the career fair is successful because it encourages genuine interactions between students and future employers.

“This is my first career fair,” he said. “The appeal seems to be that there is a meet and greet to gain more exposure for students looking for opportunities and companies looking for employees.”

For some students, the career fair offered a realistic way to find jobs, instead of searching online. Senior advertising major Steven Calhoun said he appreciated the chance to gain practical benefits, such as experience meeting with professionals.

“I came to get my foot in the door with some companies, shake some hands, get contacts, and maybe get some leads on jobs,” he said. “I feel like you have a better chance if you talk to someone face-to-face.”

The fair took place in Bryant-Denny Stadium to resemble a professional conference. Students were encouraged to bring copies of their resumes to give to interested companies and to behave as if they were being interviewed.

Students interested in internship or job opportunities may be able to get an early start or make a strong impression at events that introduce them to professionals. The College of Communication and Information Sciences career fair made this possible for attendees.