Former Alabama player hosts camp to give back to community

Le’Ron McClain played high school football at Tuscaloosa County High School before suiting up for the University of Alabama under former coach Mike Shula. His opportunities in Tuscaloosa led him to the NFL, and these days, McClain does his best to give back to the community that helped him become a two-time All-Pro fullback.

McClain is holding the ninth annual Le’Ron McClain Football Skills and Safety Camp at American Christian Academy in Tuscaloosa on July 16. The camp is free and designed to help kids from 7 to 18 years old.

“It means the world to me [to have a camp in Tuscaloosa],” McClain said. “To show these kids that you can make it out of Tuscaloosa if you work your tail off. I got my chance, and now I have the chance to come back and show these kids how to make it.”

McClain was born in Fort Wayne, Indiana, but moved to Tuscaloosa and spent his high school and college years playing football in the area. After graduating from Alabama in 2007, the Baltimore Ravens drafted him in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. He played seven seasons in the pros for the Ravens, Kansas City Chiefs, and San Diego Chargers. He ran for 902 yards in his best season in 2008, and made two Pro Bowls and two All-Pro teams during his career.

McClain’s camp is part of USA Football’s FUNdamentals program, which is responsible for camps across the country, many of which are hosted by current and former NFL players. Former Crimson Tide players AJ McCarron and Marcell Dareus are among those who also have camps affiliated with the program.

Mike Shula was the head coach of Alabama during McClain’s Crimson Tide career, so he never played under current head coach Nick Saban. McClain does like what the program has become under Saban.

“He’s done a great job recruiting and changing the atmosphere of Alabama football,” McClain said.

The defending national champions are returning a lot of talent, and McClain thinks they have a chance to be special again this season.

“We’ve got a great team this year, and I think that this actually might be his most talented team,” McClain said. “I’m looking forward to it, and can’t wait for the season to get started.”

Registration for the camp can be completed by going online to www.usafootball.com/fun, and then looking up “Le’Ron McClain” in the camp search list. Alternatively, McClain said campers could show up the day of the camp and sign up at the front table.

“My momma will be working the registration table, and she can sign you up the day of,” McClain said. “I’m looking forward to it, and hope the kids are ready to work and have fun.”