Your sorority doesn't define you

Joining a sorority at Alabama seems to be a rite of passage for many freshmen girls. With the daunting task of picking the group of girls you will be associated with for the next four years and even the rest of your life, rush seems like one of the biggest responsibilities a freshman girl can have. But honestly, it’s not as essential as it may seem.

As a freshman, I rushed a house that isn’t considered a “top house” here at Alabama. The reputation girls chattered about during rush week didn’t affect my decision because I could see myself having genuine friendships with these girls. As time went on, I got more obsessed with what people would say about my sorority. I read countless comments online about the reputation my sorority had and always listened into side conversations that I would hear in class. The more I focused on what people would say, the more I got more personally offended and conscious that I was associated with that reputation. Ultimately, I took what those anonymous commenters said to heart. I applied all of those negative comments to not only my sorority but also to myself. If my sorority is just as bad as everyone says, surely I was just as ugly, boring, unmotivated, and worthless. Those comments took a toll on how I viewed my personal success on campus. I thought I was no better than what people said and truly believed people transferred their negative opinions about my sorority to me whenever they saw my Greek letters.

After considering dropping my sorority solely based on the negativity I had heard, my father, who was never once Greek and knew not one thing about sororities, taught me an important lesson I haven’t yet forgotten. He told me I was more than the collective reputation, true or otherwise, of any organization I was a part of because I was an individual with goals and aspirations of my own. I have an individual personality, thoughts, and a life apart from organizations I am in. There was no point giving up something I actually did enjoy due to the reputations it carried because that reputation spoke nothing of my own character. From then on, I realized the importance in looking past the negativity as it was often false and didn’t apply directly to me.

As a freshman, everything about college seems daunting. You have to wonder if people are judging you for what you are doing, what you are wearing, what you are saying, and of course what sorority you chose to be a part of. You hear the stereotypes and the negative comments. Every sorority and sorority girl faces the same scrutiny. Whether you chose to rush or not, the most important lesson I could teach a freshman is to look past the negativity associated with your sorority, organizations, major, or anything else someone could scrutinize in order to realize your own individual importance. You have every capability to succeed on this campus and beyond if you seek out opportunity on your own. Do not be hindered by what you may hear or read, or discouraged by the negativity you encounter. You will undoubtedly face naysayers, but college is the time to focus on your goals, be a part of whatever you want to, and have fun doing it.

Sororities will always be mocked and made fun of, but every single girl needs to understand that she is more than the collective reputation and anything anyone could say. When girls have the confidence to see themselves as individuals, everyone succeeds. Freshman year is an intimidating time when you feel out your place on campus. In times of doubt or negativity, remember what one of the most important icons of our time once said, “Who run the world? Girls.”