Annual concerts united campus

Over the years, the University has brought several excellent musical talents to perform for the student body on Homecoming week. Johnny Cash, Jimmy Buffett, Alan Jackson, Blues Traveler, Chris Daughtry, and Earth, Wind, and Fire have all participated in past Homecoming concerts.

These appearances were fitting. Homecoming, after all, is a big week at the University. We have a lot of tradition to celebrate, and a great football team to cheer on. We also have a lot of alumni and fans who return for the event.

It is a little disappointing, then, that University Programs is not continuing this great tradition by sponsoring a Homecoming concert this year.

Homecoming week is full of excitement – Homecoming Queen elections, competitions, and, of course, the Homecoming game. The concert was a great addition to these other festivities – it offered the student body another chance to get engaged and boost their school spirit by bringing popular artists to campus.

The Homecoming concert was also a great addition to social life at the University. Some students don’t have access to, or interest in, a lot of the regular parties and concerts that occur in Tuscaloosa. However, bringing big names with great music to campus was something everyone could find enjoyable.

It gave students an opportunity to come together and unify around one major event during the week.

Students who voted in Tuesday’s Homecoming Queen election were asked questions about what type of performers they would like to see at a spring concert in the new Tuscaloosa amphitheater. Maybe their answers will provide the University with good insight into what students want in a concert, and perhaps the result will be a great performer coming to Tuscaloosa next semester.  The construction of the new amphitheater is a welcome development that will hopefully be a venue for many great events in the future.

However, it is still disappointing that, on this important week, the University has failed to preserve the tradition. It could have been a fun time for all.