State senator stresses need for women in politics

As the fourth and final speaker in the Women’s Political Initiative lectures series, Sen. Vivian Figures encouraged about 60 young women to move past the initial challenges women in politics face in order to do something great.

“The rules are different for us, ladies,” she said.

Figures now serves as the chairwoman of the Senate Education Committee, Mobile Senate Local Delegation and the Joint Legislative Oversight Committee for License Plates, but she remembered the struggles when she began her political career in 1984.

“It’s definitely a challenge,” Figures said. “It’s still a man’s world.”

In 1997, after the death of her husband, Figures was elected to the Alabama State Senate—the first black woman to be elected from Mobile County, and the second in the state.

Although she said she was called to politics at a young age, Figures has dealt with the challenges of being one of only five female senators.

“I would go into my office and cry, wipe my face, reapply my makeup and go back out there,” she said.

Figures said she relies not only on her family for support, but she also looks to her fellow senators—male and female—as mentors.

When Figures first served in the senate, she felt compelled to politely correct her fellow members and even ministers, who only addressed the “gentlemen of the Senate,” she said.

“Wherever you are, you’ve got to stand up for yourself,” Figures said. “When you stand up for yourself, you are standing up for other women as well.”

According to Figures, the need for women in politics is crucial.

“Women have an eye for detail,” she said.

She spoke of a time when the Senate delayed passing a piece of legislature for three days; Figures said she was able to facilitate a compromise in three hours, which allowed the bill to pass.

“So many times, you’re going to step out to do something when everyone else thinks you are crazy,” she said.

In a controversy over banning liquor licenses for particular bars in Mobile, Figures said she voted against the ban based on the reasoning that the alcohol brought into the bars would not be regulated by bar owners or the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, which she said would have caused more problems.

Female students at the University said they respected Figures for her endeavors.

“I think she’s a good example of a female politician,” said Jania Knight, a senior majoring in journalism. Knight said she hopes to work in library administration and plans to take Figures’ advice and learn from her experiences.

Figures’ main piece of advice for women interested in becoming involved in politics is to have a passion for it.

“You can be so powerful,” she said. “If you want something changed, you can do that.”

She encouraged the student audience to start by voting in November and rallying in Montgomery as a part of Higher Education Day held in the spring.

Figures said she considers herself a “spiritually-led elected official” and will continue to serve the public as long as there is a need.

Currently, Figures is working to make Alabama a smoke-free state—an issue she is passionate about, she said.

“I admire how strong she’s been through this whole process,” said Laura Lantrip, a freshman majoring in biology. “This has given me confidence to get out there and get involved in our local government.”