HCA seeks Honoros College unity

A fourth of the way into their first year, the Honors College Assembly has accomplished several service projects, socials and numerous other things to try to create more interaction among students in the Honors College.

HCA President Hallie Paul said there are two big-picture goals HCA seeks to accomplish.

“As the college continues to grow, we want to facilitate a greater sense of community for students within the Honors College,” Paul said. “We also want to continue to create more leadership opportunities for students.”

Even with all the ideas and projects the HCA wants to get done, Paul said, they must also remember to start with baby steps.

“We can’t do everything right now; there are some things we have to put off and master the current projects we have going on right now,” she said.

Jackie Hurt, the adviser for HCA, said she’s proud of the dedication and entrepreneurial spirit of the students.

Another positive, she said, is that students who come to the Honors College are able to participate in events that promote scholarship, cultural activities and community service. Through these events students, can mingle with others and possibly meet friends who they can have for life, Hurt said.

One component of HCA is that it is set up to be able to change with the time, Hurt said.

“Five students can come up with an idea and submit a committee proposal form to start a project with HCA,” she said. “For example, if a student wants to promote political awareness or help with disaster relief, then this is a mechanism for the HCA to remain an evolving organization.”

Jacqueline Koncsol,  the HCA director of civic engagement, said some of the mentoring initiatives the HCA has started included work at Hillcrest High School, where students work with members of the football team with study sessions, Matthews Elementary School, where they mentor kindergartners by working with art, and a program in conjunction with the Student Government Association called Blueprint at Central High School. The Blueprint program guides students in talking about college and planning out their life after graduation.

“A new program that is in progress is at Hillcrest Middle School where students will help sixth-grade students with reading” Koncsol said.

She said there is also Honors College mentoring, and she’s excited by the initiative the students have taken.

Other accomplishments under the civic engagement branch of HCA include the Riverwalk clean up and their participation in the Easter Seals “Walk With Me” event to promote awareness for persons with disabilities.

The Student Life branch is also prospering. Director Michael Forst said he is excited to see the people in HCA are collaborating to make things happen.

They’ve had bands at community service events, tailgates for the past two home games, teams in the SGA’s homecoming activities, participation in block seating, intramural sports teams and are forming a Quidditch team with the Creative Campus initiative.

“We also are planning for next week, as it leads up to Halloween, some game nights and socials,” Forst said.

Plans for collaboration with the Black Student Union in an event called Express Night at Command Ground are underway, Paul said.

“[It] will combine Honors College students and student performances at an open mic night,” she said.